Monday, November 9, 2009

Baby Names

As many of you know, picking out a baby name is hard work... After all the kid has to spend their entire life with that name, no matter how horrible it is. (Well I guess there are nicknames, middle names and name changes). Dan and I have been going through a ton of baby naming sites and having a lot of discussions on names. After going through life with a short name that rhymes with just about everything (Shari) and a full name that has never once been pronounced correctly (Sharone) and both names never having been spelled correctly by another person (other than my mother) I am very particular about the type of name we choose. I want a simple name with no fancy spellings (Tylor? Caden?? Zavier? Sharone? Etc...) that everyone can pronounce and isn't really big on the name bullying.

So, here's what we've come up with so far:

We agreed on the girl's name of Chloë. According to babynamesworld.com Chloë is recommended by 76% of the people, occasionally mispronounced, 55% say it's always misspelled, and 81% say they were never bullied because of their name. Bullying includes things like name being purposely mispronounced, and Slowy Chloë. All pretty small "infractions" if you ask me!

As for middle names, we have tossed around Corrine, Rhea and my grandmother's name of Lena or Mary. So here's the list of the complete name:

Chloë Corrine Rozon
Chloë Rhea Rozon
Chloë Lena Rozon
Chloë Mary Rozon

As for boys names, that's a little more work and we have yet to nail a name down, despite my being convinced that we are having a boy. It seems that the "nice" sounding boy names we agree on are either too popular, such as any name ending with an "en" (Kaden and Aiden), not popular enough (such as Xavier and Zander) or endlessly misspelled and mispronounced (again Xavier).

We did agree on one name... sort of... and that's Tyce. We got it from the name of the wonderful choreographer from So You Think You Can Dance. I can't find much info on this name as most say it's short for Tyson (which I definitely wont go for due to Mike Tyson and Tyson Chicken). We got it from the name of the wonderful choreographer from So You Think You Can Dance. However, I'm not too keen on the idea of it as a first name because it seems too close to Tyler and both would have the same shortened nickname. Dan doesn't seem to think this is a problem though, however, I'm much more agreeable to it being a middle name.

Our first choice is Lucian, this is a family name from Dan's side of the family. I think it's very mysterious sounding, quite unique but a bit old fashioned. However, it is a family name and I like giving those preference. It's not a great name for a child, in my opinion, but for an adult I feel it's a very "strong" male name. It's gaining more popularity recently due to it's use as character names in movies. babynameworld.com says that Lucian means light in Latin. 82% of people recommend this name, 60% say it's occasionally misspelled, 48% were never bullied, 90% say they like being named Lucian. Most of the teasing was simply being called Luci or a girl.

I like the name Basil, personally, and Dan "sort of" likes it. He doesn't think it'd make a good hockey player name... haha. But I think Basil Tyce Rozon is very nice sounding. Again, babynameworld says that Basil is a latin name meaning kingly. 80% of people recommend the name Basil, it's only occasionally misspelled, and bullying includes things like being called a Spice or told their name was "lame." Again, not too high on name bullying list.

Another name we are considering River. To me, River is very unique and brings about a sense of peace and tranquility that is often seen from bodies of water. River Rozon flows together smoothly too (no pun intended!!). And yes, it is a unisex name, but as far as I'm concerned, most names ending in a hard consonant sound are masculine. babynameworld says that from the people named River 79% suggest it and 88% like being named River. 88% also say it's never mispronounced or misspelled and 49% say they were never bullied because of their name. Bullying included being called River Dance, Lake, Pond, Flood and "Your name is stupid."

The final name (at least so far) we are considering is Jett. Jett is a black gemstone. To me it's a very masculine name, pretty unique and would most likely always be misspelled as Jet. 79% of people named Jett recommend it, 54% say they were *never* bullied because of their name and bullying included being called an airplane, asking if they could fly someone to a location and called Jet Dry. Of course the drawbacks are that the initials of Jett Rozon are JR and he might be called Junior a lot!!! And yes, we are aware that it's the name of a rock group as well as Joan Jett, but being named after rock is cool anyway. :)

So the list of boy names would be:

Lucian Tyce Rozon
Basil Lucian Rozon
River Lucian Rozon
Jett Lucian Rozon
Tyce Lucian Rozon

With how mean kids in school are, it's virtually impossible to find a name that someone couldn't figure out how to make fun of and at the same time find a name that you both agree on, that doesn't bring up a "bad" person in your mind or a stupid movie or celeb and that isn't overused.

So let us know what you think and if you guys have any suggestions or family names!

5 comments:

  1. Name for girl Amanda or Brigit is nice and Lena or Mary after your grandmother is nice.
    For a boy Gary likes Walter (strong male name) I like Lucien (my father's name), I also like James, Brian, Cameron, Andrew, Darwin, Ryan, Stuart, Timothy, Vincent, Wayne, Xavier, Zachary

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was supposed to be Lucien, no one corrected my spelling until after I posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name Chloe with Corrine and Lena, I don't think it flows with Rhea or Mary. I also like the name Talia. We have a new girl in our school with a unique but nice name, Takota.

    Boys names are a bit harder. I like the names Ian and David (but that's a bit over used).

    You'll probably go through tons of many more hours before you settle on just the right one, and then change it after you see the baby!

    Have fun with this!
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharone IS an often mispronounced name, but I've never had any trouble saying it. Heh heh.

    But wow! Allie and Neil are trying for a baby and if it's a girl plan to name it Lena for a first name. My mother would be so pleased that her granddaughters remember her with love.

    Chloe is a name I like looking at... we also have other pretty names in the family - Alana, Elizabeth, Cassandra, Artemelissa, Hallie, Sophia, Helen, Polly (a name I really like), Martha, Bronwen, Minerva, Valerie, Julia, Letty, Ivory, Georgia, Cicely, Martha Jane, Madeline, Ella, Maud, Olivia, Emma, Annor, Romie, Eva, Isabella, even a Cheylene! :)

    Talia is pretty and we have a Telitha in the family...

    Boys names - we have some good ones in the family too! I love the name Piers. And we have Stephen, Thierry, Drew, Jackson, Geoffrey, Lafayette (called "Faytte"), Boyd, Morgan, Colbert, Simon, Harley, Ethelred, Grady, Laurent, Wyath, Max ... tons of great names, really. I can send you a list.

    BUT - I'm sorry - BUT one thing!!! "Walter" is, and always will be, the name of an accountant. Hahahaha!

    I have a great book that tells you what people associate with names - like what do you think of when you think of names like Brunhilda or Ichabod or Candy or Fifi?? Real names people use, but some are obviously fallen out of favour.

    Well, that's MY 2 pence worth! Love ya kiddo and what ever name you choose I'm sure it will be just the right name for a wonderful baby!!

    Auntie Sharone xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, well, girl names, I have to go with Abigail...but I'm biased! I do love Chloe though, and I would vote for Chloe Lena as the combination there...

    For boy, my vote would be Lucien Tyce. (though would you pronounce it soft c or like sh? I've heard it both..) I like how Lucien means light..plus it helps that he's a cool character in Underworld!!!

    'Aunt' Abby

    ReplyDelete