Friday, April 9, 2010

I'm sorry here's some flowers

So, Monday I went to the doctor for my weekly visit. It was a "semi" holiday... the day after Easter... so it was only the doctor and one receptionist working. I am assuming I was the last appointment of the day at 3:15 because they called me at 1pm asking if I could come in earlier as early as possible. Problem was, I was waiting for Dan's mom, Carol, to come over at 2pm as she was going to go with me to the appointment. So, I tried to call them back, to let them know but because of the "holiday" they weren't answering the phones and their message said such. So, we showed up around 2:45 which was the earliest we could get there, so I guess they still got off work half an hour earlier! It was weird not having the nurse there, the receptionist was filling in for her and seemed rather frazzled and ready to go home after a day of doing 2+ person's jobs.

I had gained 4 pounds in the week, which I knew I had already because my hands and feet keep swelling up like balloons (well they feel like that anyway) so I knew before I went that I was retaining fluids. I also knew that the combination of 4 or more pounds, high blood pressure and protein in the urine all mean preenclampsia and could mean some serious bed rest for me or inducing labor.

Well, when the doc took my blood pressure it was creeping up 140/88 but I explained to him we had been running around a lot in the past few days and I hadn't slept at home the night before and you know... other things that make the BP go up. He was a little concerned that with the weight gain spike and the blood pressure I *may* have the beginnings of preenclampsia, even though I was lacking the 3rd piece (protein in the sample), and wanted me to come in on Weds again to get my blood pressure checked. Well, being that it's a good half hour drive for us to go there, I asked if I could just go check it at the nearby pharmacy and he was alright with that.

On Weds I went and checked my blood pressure and all was back to normal. Phew. I am refusing to be induced with this baby, I went through that with Tyler, granted it was at 8 months and this baby is full term now so it would be different. But my labor and beyond with Tyler was so traumatic for me, I swore to myself I would forever choose bed rest over induction for any other kid (unless of course it's life threatening).

So, past few days I've been taking it pretty easy, laying down a lot. I use the laptop to keep myself entertained. I think going on bed rest at 6 months when I was pregnant with Tyler would have been a heck of a lot easier if I had had a laptop. Been drinking fluids like crazy as well.

This month is going so so so slow I am not due until the end of the month but it already feels like I am overdue! Yesterday, I was sure it *must* be close to the end of the month only to check the date and see it was only the 8th! I am NOT looking forward to the labor at all. Once again, I have now opted against an epidural, being that since we are paying out of pocket for this baby an epidural starts at $800 bucks. Not to mention, I really want to be able to walk around and the thought of a needle in my lower back freaks the heck out of me. So, I figure I already did it before epidural free and I can do it again. I told Dan to be prepared to make a lot of apologies to nurses and staff after the birth! Those of you that were with me for my first birth know what I'm talking about :) I got pretty... mouthy... angry... whatever at the nurses!

Well, I'm hoping that this birth will be easier than the first, mainly because I wont be medically induced and go through a month of pregnancy in a few short hours like I did with Tyler. But, the doctor said it won't be all that easy because it's been 10 years not 2 since I had Tyler.

I think I will just buy thank you/I'm sorry cards, candy and flowers for the staff now...

No comments:

Post a Comment